FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR ARTISTS AFFECTED BY CV19
Financial support for arts practitioners in NSW hard hit by the impact of COVID-19 is being provided by all levels of government.
The Australian Government, Australia Council For The Arts, Create NSW and the City of Sydney are all providing grants, loans and and other forms of financial assistance specifically for artists, arts workers and cultural organisations.
The Australian Government has announced $27 million of funding for the arts sector. The government is providing:
- $10 million to help regional artists and organisations develop new work and explore new delivery models. The funding will be delivered through Regional Arts Australia’s Regional Arts Fund
- $7 million to support Indigenous artists and arts centres. The funding will be delivered under the Indigenous Visual Arts Industry Support program
- $10 million to Support Act to provide mental health services.
Australia Council For The Arts
The Australia Council has launched a Resilience Fund of approximately $5M for artists and arts organisations to support their livelihoods, practice and operations during the COVID-19 pandemic. The 2020 Resilience Fund includes three streams:
- Survive – small grants for individuals, groups and organisations to offset or recoup financial losses due to cancelled activity.
- Adapt – grants for individuals, groups and organisations to adapt their practice and explore new operating models.
- Create – grants for individuals, groups and organisations to continue to create artistic work and develop creative responses in a time of disruption.
Individuals can apply for up to $10,000 and organisations can apply for up to $20,000: https://www.australiacouncil.gov.au/funding/funding-index/2020-resilience-fund/
In addition to a range of support provisions for cultural organisations, Create NSW has adapted its Small Project Grants to address the current situation of social distancing and the cancellation of non-essential travel.
Applicants – individuals or organisations – can apply for up to $5000 to create or participate in a variety of online activities, develop work in local contexts, and explore the presentation of work online.
City of Sydney
The City of Sydney is also providing a range of support packages for both arts practitioners and cultural organisations. These include:
- Small Business Grants: These grants are for for-profit organisations, including for-profit arts enterprises, employing between 1 and 19 full-time staff. Funds can be used for costs associated with changing your business model, developing online and e-commerce capabilities, training and professional development, renovating your premises or buying new equipment and software. Up to $10,000.
- Cultural Sector Resilience Grants: Worth $2.25 million in total, these grants provide immediate financial support to sole traders and not-for-profit arts and cultural organisations. Up to $10,000 per sole trader and $20,000 per organisation.
- Creative Fellowships Fund: Valued at $1 million, this fund is to help keep artists, creative producers, curators, and other creative professionals working during a time of reduced opportunities. Projects can have outcomes that will be presented during or after the crisis. Grants up to $20,000
- Community Service Grants: Valued at $1.5 million, these grants provide financial assistance to not-for-profit and social enterprises who support vulnerable community members with food security, digital inclusion and social inclusion. Grants from $5,000 to $50,000.
- Quick Response Grant Program: Valued at $500,000, the quick response grant program supports small-scale initiatives for local residents, communities and organisations responding to urgent need in their communities. These grants are available to cultural, community and small business operators. Grants from $2,000 to $5,000
Arts ACT have launched Homefront, a funding program that supports the needs of Canberra artists across all artforms, who have lost their income and ability to maintain their arts practice as a result of COVID-19. Funding of up to $10,000 per artist will be available to support arts development and the sustainability of their arts practices over the next 6-9 months. Successful recipients will be announced approximately Friday 1 May. Find out more…
Northern Beaches Council
Northern Beaches Council are offering Arts and Creativity Grants through Manly Art Gallery & Museum. Grants up to $10,000 are available to support individuals and organisations to investigate new ideas/designs, establish new ventures or develop collaborative innovation projects. Applications close Monday 30 April. Find out more…